2009. február 20., péntek

Number One Master of Horror

I hope that some of you already know who will be the target of my post. Today I am going to write about Darren Shan. The title "Number One Master of Horror" is written on the covers of some of his books.

His real name is Darren O'Shaughnessy. He was born in London but when he was six years old his family moved to Ireland. His first children book Cirque du Freak made him really famous. This book was the first part of a twelve-book series called the "Saga of Darren Shan". It is about a boy called Darren Shan (yes it is not a mistake, the author is the main character of the series). Darren becomes the assistant of a vampire called Larten Crepsley to save his best friend's life. The "Saga" is about his adventures.

After finishing the "Saga" he began to write a new series the "Demonata" which is about three teenagers who are fighting against demons. But I won't tell any further information about the Demonata because my chosen book on the Reading and Writing II course is part of this series.
I really like his books because he writes in an understandable way and the characters are like real people. We could even beleive that those things could happen in real life as well. Although he writes horror-like books I don't think that they are scary. I must admit that the Saga is not a horror series. I think they are adventure books instead. However, the Demonata is a real horror series. I don't find them frightening although there are some brutal parts in these books like a demon spits acid at a person whose flash melts away from his face... Maybe this is because I only read them and I am sure that if I watched one of the stories on TV it would be really fearful.

In my opinion everybody who likes horror should read one of Darren Shan's works as they are real masterpieces . So hurry to the next book strore!

4 megjegyzés:

  1. Hi Kati,

    Unfortunately, I've never read any Darren Shan books, but now I decided to read some stories in the summer. I have a list of books to read, and I'll put Darren Shan on it. ;-)

    Thanks For The Idea and Have a Nice Evening!

    Dóry

    VálaszTörlés
  2. Good choice Kati, I love the Darren Shan books, too. They're all masterpieces. I hope I can read the next novel of the Demon series as soon as possible. =)

    VálaszTörlés
  3. I also like Darren Shan and I really liked the vampaire stories.
    But I didn't know about the Demon series so far. Thanks for writing about it:)

    VálaszTörlés
  4. The latest D. Shan book (Wolf Island) can be bought on bookline.hu but it's quite expensive (4923Ft). /Yes, the English version./

    VálaszTörlés